Dear Friends in Christ,
A copy of the application form for the Urban Ministry Scholarship Fund of the United Methodist City Society is available at the United Methodist City Society website, www.umcitysociety.org. You will find download links below.
Limited funds are available for those persons who have demonstrated experience and interest in urban ministry, along with some level of financial need. The Scholarship Fund is designated primarily to assist those persons who are planning to enter full‑time ordained ministry in a United Methodist Church with special interest in urban ministry.
All candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Membership in a church in the New York Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church; and
- Enrollment in a seminary approved by the University Senate of the United Methodist Church.
- Will be a Full or part time seminary student for the academic year 2016 – 2017
- Provide proof of financial need
Priority in the awards will be given to persons who have a desire to enter full time ordained ministry in the United Methodist Church in an urban setting.
The Scholarship Committee will NOT review applications from persons that:
- Are not members of churches in the New York Annual Conference;
- Are not involved in urban ministries at their local church;
- Are pursuing additional advanced degrees (i.e. second master’s degree or doctoral degree); and
- Are not pursuing programs that will lead to a degree.
- Do not submit the application by the deadline.
The deadline for 2016 -2017 scholarship applications is FRIDAY, MAY 13TH at 12 Noon ( sent by email, fax or hand delivered). Late and/or incomplete applications will not be accepted. All reference letters must come by separate cover. (Your application will not be denied if we do not receive a reference letter from your pastor, District Superintendent, and/or Candidacy Mentor by the May 8th deadline. The scholarship committee of UMCS will meet mid-May.)
Scholarship Awards will be announced at the New York Annual Conference Session.
Feel free to contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (212) 870-3094, if you have any questions or need any further information concerning the Scholarship Fund.
In God’s love, joy and humor,
Reverend Dr. William S. Shillady
Executive Director / CEO